The Internship Programme offers students and fresh graduates from diverse academic backgrounds practical experience and direct exposure to the work of the United Nations. The Programme is open to all eligible local and international students and fresh graduates to be involved in various aspects of OHCHR work in Cambodia.
These internships are intended to:
- increase the intern’s understanding of current human rights issues at the national and international level and give them an insight into the work of the United Nations and OHCHR in particular; and
- provide OHCHR and the United Nations Human Rights mechanisms with the assistance and contribution of outstanding young students and fresh graduates.
Internship Opportunities for Cambodian Nationals at OHCHR-Cambodia
- OHCHR-Cambodia is regularly providing internship opportunities to eligible applicants to work with its substantive programmes as well as its administrative unit.
Internship Opportunities for International Candidates at OHCHR-Cambodia
- OHCHR-Cambodia is continuously providing internship opportunities to eligible applicants to work with its substantive programmes.
Intern – Youth Project
Terms of Reference for Intern – Youth Project
Position: Intern, OHCHR Youth Project
Department: The intern will work under the management of the Deputy Representative and under the direct supervision of the Youth Focal Person.
Duration of internship: 3 months initially (October to December 2020).
The mission of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner (OHCHR) is to work for the protection of all human rights for all people by helping to empower them as well as assisting those responsible for upholding their rights. In the Cambodia Country Office, OHCHR implements three core programmes in line with its mandate of protection and promotion of human rights. These are: Administration of Justice, Economic and Social Rights, and Civil Society and Fundamental Freedoms.
The youth project requires a Khmer and English speaking intern with a legal or human rights background to assist with the implementation of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will provide support to the Youth Focal Person in the implementation of the youth project, including, but not limited to:
- Assisting in preparing trainings or meetings (cf. preparation of training materials, preparation of minutes of the meetings);
- Taking notes during meetings;
- Communicating with relevant stakeholders, including government counterparts;
- Assisting in drafting and translating reports and other communications;
- Other related tasks.
Desired qualifications of the intern:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme or pursuing a Bachelor degree (final academic year) in law or related field;
- Knowledge of human rights law, youth, civic and political participation in Cambodia;
- Very good English writing skills; ability to communicate with government officials is an advantage;
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to human rights;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Good research and drafting skills;
- Willingness to learn new things.
Eligibility Self Check
To be eligible, your answers must be “Yes” to the 4 questions.
|Eligibility Self Check Table:||Yes||No|
|1. You must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:|
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or
equivalent, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degreeprogramme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);(c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in 1 (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
|2. You are able to cover the costs of travel, accommodation, as well as living expenses of the internship.|| |
|3. If selected, you will be able to provide a medical certificate stating that you are in good health and prove your enrolment in one of the programmes stated in 1 above.|| |
|4. You are able to communicate fluently in English and Khmer||__||__|
Application must include: 1) a cover letter in English expressing your interesting in the internship programme, 2) a duly completed, date and signed internship application form (can be downloaded from: http://cambodia.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Intern%20Application%20Form.doc ), and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 22 September 2020.
For more information on Internship Programme, please visit https://cambodia.ohchr.org/en/internship-program